An Otoscope, alternatively known as auriscope is a medical device which is widely used to check the ears. Otoscopes are used to check for illness during regular health checkups and are also employed to investigate problems associated with ears.
In broad terms, an Otoscope gives the picture of ear canal and the eardrum. Since the eardrum is the border line separating external ear from the middle ear, the characteristics of eardrum can help in identification of various diseases of the middle ear space. Presence of ear wax, shed skin, pus, foreign body, and other ear diseases can be identified with the help of Otoscope. The commonly used Otoscopes consist of a handle and a head. The head is made up of the light source and low power magnifying lens. Although in many cases, there is facility for removal of lens so that examiner can insert the instrument into the ear canal for activities like removing ear wax etc.
At many clinics today, Otoscopes are wall-mounted and some of them are also portable. The Wall-mounted Otoscopes come with a flexible power cord to its base, which helps to hold the Otoscope when it is not being uses. The Portable models of Otoscopes have batteries in its handle which are rechargeable.
The usage of Otoscope is not limited to identification diseases related to ears but it can also be used for various other purposes like-
- Use of Otoscope in Dermatology: Otoscopes help in identifying the borders and surface of lesions. As in many cases close and clear observation is crucial to make right decisions after diagnosis. The Otoscope rightly helps to have a close view with its light source and magnifying glass.
- Use of Otoscope for Eyes: In case of eyes Otoscope helps in checking for red reflex. When using Otoscope after removing magnifying glass and darkening the room is sufficient to produce adequate pupil dilatation. Otoscope can also facilitate in detection of cataract or foreign body, directly with the help of Otoscope.
- Use of the Otoscope in Labs and Veterinary Medication: Otoscope helps in Intubation of small mammals, including rodents. It also aids in liver biopsy in dog. It guides in determination of avian gender, it acts as an alternative to laparoscope, and is possible in monomorphic birds.
- Use of Otoscope for examination of Body Orifices: Otoscope helps in detection and extraction of foreign bodies from body orifices, this is a common problem in emergency paediatrics. Otoscope with a surgical head is employed for extraction of foreign body. Using Otoscope provides greater flexibility while using instruments and facilitates better vision.
- Non-medical use of Otoscope: It can be used for looking into narrower spaces at home. It can also be used while fixing some minor and invisible part of furniture like lower portion of cupboard etc. It can also be of much use in kitchen and store rooms at homes.
You can check for some best otoscopes at www.vkarebiosciences.com, which contains bi-directional swiveling optical glass with 3x magnification. The operation lens comes with 4x magnification and utilizes fiber optics for adequate beam and transmission of light.